Saturday, March 21, 2009

March 21st...near disaster!

Okay...I knew I was going to have to sit through a 5 hour meeting today, from 10 am until 3 pm and that the only food available was going to be high calorie stuff...so I prepared accordingly. I had my proper, healthy breakfast and then took an energy bar and a nutrimeal shake with me..all I had to do was add water. I thought I was all set. I avoided the coffee (and the coffee shops on the way to the meeting), avoided the 'snacks' (mini cinnimen buns, fruit flavored yogurt, candy, and cookies), and avoided the fruit drinks. I drank water. I had my snack at 11 am...so far so good. Lunch was at 1 pm. They provided salmon salad, egg salad, and chicken salad sandwiches...made with white bread...ugh! Now I love to eat salmon salad...but instead I had my nutrimeal shake (yummy chocolate flavor) and a small mini orange and a couple of carrot sticks. I was full and feeling fine. But then a friend called and asked if I could meet him to discuss some information he found at the Holistic Show that was in town...so instead of going home at 3 pm, I went across town. I didn't get home until 6:30 pm...by which time I was cold, tired, and very hungry. The last thing I really wanted to do was cook something but I wanted food...now!!!!!!!! I had visions of stopping at MacDonalds on the way home...or any other fast food place...but I didn't. Okay. Fast food wasn't an option...so what did I have in the fridge that I could eat really soon and in very large quantities? I grabbed an energy bar (yummy peanut butter) and munched on it as I got out some skinless chicken and stuck it in the microwave (yes, I know I shouldn't use a microwave...but I was desperate). While that was cooking, I prepared a plate of salad (what! where were the carbs and fats?) and as soon as the chicken was cooked, I plunked it down on the salad and started eating. I really didn't think this was going to satisfy my hunger by a long shot. At first I took big mouthfuls...but then a funny thing happened. I started to move the chicken out of the way so that I could get at the salad. Now this is very weird for me since I used to love to eat meat before anything else (and sometimes instead of anything else). I started eating more slowly and by the time I was finished, I was feeling full...but not stuffed...and there was one piece of chicken still on the plate.

Wow. What a strange experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment